Dear Ron,

> Am 06.03.2019 um 13:59 schrieb Ron Andrico <praelu...@hotmail.com>:
>
>   Perhaps the mis-remembered quotation is a conflation of Besard and
>   Vallet, who recommended thumb-index for fast passages.  Nevertheless,
>   music from around 1600 forward in time should be played with the thumb
>   out if we are to follow the written advice and the iconography.  I
>   still see far too may baroque lute and theorbo players using
>   thumb-under, which is patently absurd given both the historical
>   precedent and the physical layout of extended bass instruments.  Isn't
>   it about time lute players moved forward from the guitarist versus
>   lutenist nonsense from the 1970s and played according to actual
>   historical examples?

That’s exactly the goal of our summer course in Chiavenna (with Paul Beier,
Vinicius Perez and me):

- Understanding historical lute techniques
- Reading original sources and understanding the kinds of information found in
them
- Establishing a repertoire illustrative of historical techniques
- Studying original lutes and lute construction (with Klaus Jacobsen)
- Developing an awareness of our goals as musicians

See here:
http://www.musico.it/chiavennabaroque/

It’s really time to change something.

Andreas