Dear Howard,
   Well - until we have a more quantifiable idea of the objective results
   of what people actually hear 'by their ears' we're in a land of
   make-believe where vague unquantifiable assertion carries more
   weight than any scientific considerations.
   It's surely not much to ask of those, who have somehow set their frets
   according to what they perceive as being some particular preferred
   'meantone', to share the fruits of their work by publishing their
   measurable fret positions.
   As it is it is hard to see what is meant by setting a lute entirely in
   'meantone' since, without multiple movable frets (as, for example,
   Thompson's experimental guitar) this is simply not physically possible
   since, as also said before, it fails to properly address the core
   issue
   of minor and major semitones on different courses but on the same
   fret.
   As also already remarked: who knows, it might even lead to some
   helpful consensus.
   MH

   On Friday, 26 July 2019, 17:11:50 BST, howard posner
   <howardpos...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
   You might want to reread the part about using your ears.  "Precise fret
   positions" is an irrelevant concept if you tune by actually listening;
   that's why your repeated demands for numbers are going unanswered.