How interesting!  It was the same for me.  After hearing Presley and a few other things, like "Sh-boom, sh-boom", I decided to give up on popular music altogether. Then I heard  a girl school choir rehearsing madrigals, and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. I got hold of "Music for lute and Guitar" by Walter Gerwig and learned some of the pieces by ear. Then heard Bream, and I was hooked. I took some classical guitar lessons, but found all I wanted to play was lute music, so I wandered into a music store in Berkeley and said, "Hey, you got any lutes." They did, and the rest is history.

--Sarge