Howard is right about the graying of audiences and it's been talked about for years here in the US.  I think one problem is that early music is the poor step-sister of "classical music" - a category that was solidified (along with ethnic, folk etc.) back when record stores started. It seems to me our music was the pop music of the day, with a bit of a division between music for use in church, court and things like popular ballad tunes. Currently I see a couple larger baroque orchestras and concert series moving past the baroque, but I also see some interesting series who explore putting on concerts in non-traditional venues, such as bars and coffee shops. We had an article by Deborah Fox a year or so in the Quarterly - about some of the things her Pegasus music is doing to encourage a younger audience. Stephen Stubbs in Seattle (Pacific Music Works) in Seattle is also doing this.

I suspect that all this targeted music aimed to fill medium sized concert venues will change because of Covid-19. It will level the playing field and people will have found out it's very nice to listen to a well-produced concert on your TV (via YouTube). Recently I have listened to online lute concerts by Paul O'Dette, Ronn McFarlane and Brandon J Acker.  In each of them there was no ticket price, just a suggestion to follow a link to donate on PayPal.  None of those concerts took place in my part of the continent and I would not have heard them without the pandemic. I think this will continue even after we get our vaccine. The success of these kind of things will depend on things like Facebook spreading to work far and wide as well as people contiruting - Brandon Acker has done a great job getting lots of connections on Facebook, so has access to his potential audience.
Nancy