You have probably seen the news about GSM AKA 2G mobile phone support going
away, today is the end day for Telstra GSM.

You probably think (like I did) that any 3G phone will do, but that's not the
case.  The Samsung Galaxy S and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i don't support 3G
in the 850MHz speed and Telstra specifically states that they don't provide
full coverage on phones that only support 2100MHz.

I wanted to give one of my old phones to a relative who only makes phone calls
(no games or Internet use) so one of those 2 phones would have worked nicely
except that he lives in one of those areas where Telstra doesn't support those
speeds.  As you apparently need 850MHz to get Telstra 3G (including Aldi and
other Telstra resellers) in Melbourne suburbs a lot of older 3G phones will
suddenly stop being usable.

I don't know if Optus and Vodafone will have similar issues.  It's possible
that they could as Vodafone supports 3 bands including 850MHz and could
possibly have some areas that are only well covered at 850MHz-3G and GSM
speeds.  Optus supports 900MHz and 2100MHz for 3G (which I think are more
common frequencies) but there are some 3G phones which don't support 900MHz
such as the Xperia X10a (which was sold by Telstra).

If you bought a 3G phone from Optus/Virgin a few years ago (as I did with the
Galaxy S and XperiaX10i) it might not be usable now on the Telstra network.
If you bought a 3G phone from Telstra a few years ago if might not be usable
on Optus depending on how they do things (which might not be well known for a
few months).

I've just given away my Galaxy S to someone who wants to use it as a security
camera.  I encourage anyone with Android phones in such situations to give
them to the LUV hardware library.  Even 5yo Android phones are nice little
embedded Linux systems that can be used for running your own programs.