On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 09:43:46PM +1100, russ...@coker.com.au wrote:
> I encourage anyone with Android phones in such situations to give them
> to the LUV hardware library.  Even 5yo Android phones are nice little
> embedded Linux systems that can be used for running your own programs.

they also make nice WIFI VOIP handsets if you're running asterisk or
similar, especially if you've got a charging dock so that they can stand
upright.  Makes a quite decent alarm clock too.

most android phones will work in WIFI-only mode without a SIM card.

I'm still using my old HTC Desire HD, but i'll probably replace it
sometime in the next few years. When i do, i'll keep using it as a WIFI
handset for asterisk until the battery dies.

craig

--
craig sanders <c...@taz.net.au>