On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 12:58:29 AM AEDT Craig Sanders via luv-main wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 11:22:17PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > If you have any sort of enterprise use then you will have matched pairs.
>
> I've been doing that at home for a long time.  I resigned myself many years
> ago to always paying double the going price for storage because I always
> want RAID-1/mirrored-pairs.  It means I have to put off some upgrades until
> I can afford, e.g. two x 4TB or two x 8TB drives instead of just one, but
> it is, IMO, worth it.

My main workstation has 500G, 240G, and 120G SSDs in a RAID-1 BTRFS
configuration.  I bought the 120G SSD for that system, the others weren't
needed for other systems (the 500G one was from when I learned the difference
between M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe the expensive way).

> OTOH, it does mean that when I upgrade my main machine, I have matched pairs
> of older drives to distribute amongst other machines.  I'll probably be
> replacing a 4 x 1TB RAIDZ-1 pool with a pair of 8TB drives later this year.
> The 1TB drives are still working, so I'll split them into two pairs and add
> them to two other machines.

That only applies as long as none of them fail.

> > For home use it's pretty common to just use whatever you have available.
> > If you have a home BTRFS RAID-1 setup you can just add a new disk at any
> > time and after a balance operation the RAID-1 capacity will have
> > increased by half the size of that disk.  I have a spare 4TB disk sitting
> > around for when I need an extra 2TB of usable space in my home server.
>
> yep, that's one of the advantages of btrfs.  It's also a disadvantage
> because it encourages you to mix old drives, possibly failing or at least
> close to or maybe beyond their expected lifespan, with new ones.  That's
> not a risk I'd take with storage devices...at least, not for any important
> data that I didn't have backed up.

Well if you don't have a backup you will lose anyway eventually.

> At most, they might have to compile their own spl and zfs modules (apt-get
> install spl-dkms zfs-dkms should be all that's needed). Or get you to do it.

That's about $200 cost and some annoyance.  Not a big deal.