On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 11:22:17PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

> If you have any sort of enterprise use then you will have matched pairs.

I've been doing that at home for a long time.  I resigned myself many years
ago to always paying double the going price for storage because I always want
RAID-1/mirrored-pairs.  It means I have to put off some upgrades until I can
afford, e.g. two x 4TB or two x 8TB drives instead of just one, but it is,
IMO, worth it.

OTOH, it does mean that when I upgrade my main machine, I have matched pairs
of older drives to distribute amongst other machines.  I'll probably be
replacing a 4 x 1TB RAIDZ-1 pool with a pair of 8TB drives later this year.
The 1TB drives are still working, so I'll split them into two pairs and add
them to two other machines.

> For home use it's pretty common to just use whatever you have available.  If
> you have a home BTRFS RAID-1 setup you can just add a new disk at any time
> and after a balance operation the RAID-1 capacity will have increased by
> half the size of that disk.  I have a spare 4TB disk sitting around for when
> I need an extra 2TB of usable space in my home server.

yep, that's one of the advantages of btrfs.  It's also a disadvantage because
it encourages you to mix old drives, possibly failing or at least close to or
maybe beyond their expected lifespan, with new ones.  That's not a risk I'd
take with storage devices...at least, not for any important data that I didn't
have backed up.

> > RE: CDDL vs GPL
>
> Oh well my clients will be safe, their position is that they trust Canonical
> and will keep using it until/unless advised otherwise.

Your clients aren't at any risk - they haven't distributed CDDL+GPL binaries.
GPL & CDDL only restrict distribution, not use.

At most, they might have to compile their own spl and zfs modules (apt-get
install spl-dkms zfs-dkms should be all that's needed). Or get you to do it.

craig

--
craig sanders <c...@taz.net.au>