On Saturday, 22 December 2018 2:04:46 AM AEDT Craig Sanders via luv-main
wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 04:32:20PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Recently Grub has been changing to a high resolution mode. On some systems
> > this is really slow, presumably due to having a crap BIOS. On kvm/qemu
> > systems it doesn't work with -display curses.
> >
> > How do I get grub to stick to 80x25 text?
>
> On Debian, Ubuntu etc, edit /etc/default/grub and
>
> 1. un-comment the line:
>
>     GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Thanks for that, I did that, ran diff on /boot/grub/grub.cfg and found that the
following 2 lines were the relevant ones:

terminal_input console
terminal_output console

Knowing that I was able to Google how to do this in Nixos, which is to put the
following in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix and run "nixos-rebuild switch".

  boot.loader.grub.extraConfig = "terminal_input console ; terminal_output
console";

> BTW, for kvm you might also want to enable a serial console.  I usually
> enable two serial consoles per VM, one to log the VM's boot up to a text
> file on the host, the other for console access with 'virsh console' (this
> is also how console access is provided in a javascript web by openstack and
> similar virtualisation wrapper systems).  Remember to actually configure
> both grub and a getty (via inittab or systemd) to use the serial console as
> well as adding the console "hardware" to the VM.

Currently I run my kvm VMs under screen and just use screen -r to get the
console.  Virsh has some benefits, but so far it hasn't seemed worth the pain.