Unless I misunderstand, what you describe sounds to me like expected behavior, not a bug.

If you run a gui program from the shell, the shell will redirect all input (keyboard) to the program until the program exits (unless the gui program forks but most do not). Since most gui programs ignore stdin, whatever you type in the terminal will be ignored until you close the gui program.

user@machine ~ $ gpicview
(no output to terminal)
echo "This terminal is no longer busy"
(close gpicview window)