Yoni Elhanani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| A good example is Mozilla, which AFAIK was very easy to port to BeOS and
| OS/2,
| so if LyX is "gui ndependent", why not go all the way to "OS
| independent"?

We are actually not far of from beeing OS independant, currently we
require XForms (supported for a lot of different OS'), and X (libs and
server). Posix is also a requirement.

The standard code base compiles on OS/2 (emx) and on NT (using CygWin
and support libs)

And since we try to use ANSI C++ as much as possible, compiler
independence will just get better as compilers get updated to ANSI
C++.

| Also, some people want to use LyX but can't since they have windows,
| if LyX is ported it will benefit them too they could use it... (and LyX
| as it will have more users and worldwide fame)
| I think this is a very good idea, and I'll be happy to see if it
| succeeds.

I am sure there are more we can do to be more OS independant, but we
don't want to write our own support libs so I think we will still
require a "close to posix" system.

        Lgb