Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
Hi Abdel,

please find attached a first attempt of fixing the non-uniform scrolling
of LyX on trunk (21411).

Very good Tommaso! I know this represents a lot of work but there's still some things to improve in your patch. I hope you won't let us down :-). The downside of your patch is that it erases most of the optimisation I've worked hard to preserve. The upside of it is of course that you obviously gained a lot of knowledge in the process and I am very happy about that. My general comments in no particular order:

1) the patch is not in sync with trunk
2) when you comment out code because it is not needed anymore, just delete it instead. 3) when you comment out code because you don't know (yet) how to upgrade it with the new architecture, then put a FIXME explaining the issue and the potential solution. 4) we are a bunch of code rules fundamentalists so please read the docs in "trunk/development/coding/" and update your patch in consequence. 5) there are a certain number of cleanups that can be committed sequentially: the TextAnchor part, the TexMetrics part, etc. I believe we can integrate your patch step by step. 6) I said that already but there's a number of optimisation that are gone now because you basically do a full screen update at each operation.

Having said that, I like very much the direction of your patch :-)

I suggest that you 'try' to gain commit privilege and that you integrate your patch step by step by first posting the patch to the list so that I and others can comment easily. I say 'try' because I am not sure you would get it but please try anyway because I really don't feel like doing it for you. If someone else steps up that's fine too.

Abdel.