On 2009-12-09, rgheck wrote:

> The problem, as I understand it, is that, under certain circumstances,
> even a file with extension .jpg can be executed by windows, not by the
> "default viewer". Ask your local spammer for details.

AFAIK, the local spammer will attach a file "nice-pic.jpg.exe" and the
mailer will show it helpfully without the "administrative" extension
as "nice-pic.jpg" but call it as an executable.

> But you should know that running without admin privileges is not proof
> against infection.

> More importantly, the question whether a file is executable is not the
> same as the question what its extension is. That's the whole point.

On a DOS (or derived) system, "executability" is determined on the base
of the extension, because
> It doesn't really have any conception of an executable file.

> Windows can
- see
+ show
> the extension .wmf and still treat the file as executable.
> This is one of the big security holes on Windows:

Therefore it is advised to display the extension in the file manager
or file selector (this is configurable but by default off).

Günter