On 12/10/2009 02:49 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
rgheck wrote:

On 12/10/2009 09:43 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Pavel Sanda<sa...@lyx.org>   writes:

Richard Heck wrote:

I thought about using "xdg-mime query default application/rtf", e.g.,
but this simply hangs on my system. (There are similar reports on
Ubuntu.) Is

last experiments about xdg utils on gentoo launched firefox and firefox
try to do next openings if it knows how.

And could we mimick the useful parts of xdg-open (use gnome stuff under
gnome, kde stuff under kde, xfce too, and give up otherwise)?

Are there command-line ways of doing this, or do we have to link to a
ton of things here?
Yes, just look at xdg-mime which attempts to do precisely that.

Unfortunately, here on Fedora 11 it just hangs if you type e.g.
    xdg-mime query default application/rtf
I've seen similar reports on Ubuntu 9.04.

rh