> I'm not opposed to moving to git, but I do not use it, and never have, so it
> would mean some learning here.

Well, we'll guide you through. When doing svn-like development,
there is not much to learn. If you want to use all git features,
you might want to learn, but that's just fun.

As said somewhere before. I would propose to have the svn server
parallel for a while. I think it's not a large burden to maintain
both. That is, any commit to svn can be imported into git and
vice versa.

>I do not really understand all the issues, or what advantages git would bring
>us.

As I wrote in another thread. Some advantages that come to my mind are:

There are certainly benefits.
- Less noise in commits: a new feature in SVN sometimes comprises over 20
  commits or so. When using Git, we can cook a certain feature until it is
  complete and commit it as 1 merge consisting of a number of commits which
  are logical steps in introducing a feature. As a result we have less commits
in
  history saying: "Fix thinko in previous commit."; or "Fix bug #xxxx." which is
  a bug which would never have existed if it wouldn't be introduced in SVN in
  the first place; or "Add a comment for rxxxxx"; or "Revert commit rxxxx"; or
  "Revert unwanted commits in rxxxx" and so forth.
- It's easier to backport certain features to older branches.
- We can think of having several branches: e.g., LyX3.0 (or experimental)
  /LyX2.1 (or development)/LyX2.0.1(or maintenance)
- A clearer separation of commits to docs, translations, layouts, etc from
  commits to the cpp code.

> Richard

Vincent