On 04/26/2011 02:45 PM, Richard Heck wrote:
On 04/26/2011 05:57 AM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
That's also why time between releases are sooo long... 2 or 3 releases
every six without file format changes sounds very appealing to the user
that I am. To the developer, this means that his pet feature will arrive
sooner to the users.

The file format change is _the_ reason why people are kept back with older
version of LyX. 2 or 3 years time is OK for a file format  change but 6
months is obviously not.
i dont see that fileformat change is _the_reason_. we simply put too many
features in once and stabilization started too late (last spring).
there is no need to wait year and half for a first alpha imho.
also can't remeber that main issues were fileformat features.

No, as I said elsewhere, changes to the file format, as such, aren't destabilizing. Some are. The renaming of flex insets at 403 took a while to get right. Support for mathdots at 399 was simple. So it isn't the format change as such that is the issue, but what's happening elsewhere.

Guys, I am absolutely not talking about destabilization, I am talking about easy document interchange. lyx2lyx is very good but not enough for serious collaboration between users of different version of LyX. Then you'll have to settle on one version.

Abdel.