Hi Guenter,

On Dec 7, 2011, at 1:14 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:

> IMV, we should make the placement of footnotes in HTML configurable.
>
> Sensible options include
>
> a) inline (as "tooltip" via CSS :mouseover:)
> b) in the footer for page-based output (e.g. print from HTML or ePub)
> c) endnotes (before/after other concluding sections and listings?)
> d) per chapter/section/subsection
> e) author-specified position via an inset

I'd really like this too, but I'm not sure what the best way to implement it
is. Putting HTML footnotes at the end (or collecting them as Richard as
suggested and I'm currently working on a patch for) is pretty straightforward
to code. (And I'm a pretty modest C++ coder.)

The reason I like is that I can easily customize and control the output using
the CSS styles in the layouts. Yesterday, I spent all day at a publishing
conference talking to in-house programmers/designers and they identified a
couple of things they would want to see:

1.) the XHTML should be as clean as possible, following XHTML5 and ePub3
conventions
2.) CSS styling should be as transparent as possible, with intelligent defaults
3.) It's very important that it be easy to customize

LyX already provides for two and three. With some tweaking, the XHTML that
comes out can be very clean and the LyXHTML can be customized via the document
or Internal layout file.

I can foresee that a designer might want to tweak the CSS regardless of which
export option they are using, but what is the best way to do this? In the
layout, we can only specify one category of CSS that will get applied,
regardless of which export option is used. It seems like the other approaches
would require hard coding it, which seems like a less effective approach.

Anyway ... I'll continue work on collecting footnotes and send a patch a little
bit later today.

Cheers,

Rob

PS, on another note, I'm pretty excited about the export of splitting the HTML
file at the chapter or section level. Is there anything that I can do to help
facilitate it?

There are six big challenges I see to getting really excellent HTML/eBook
output from LyX :

1.) Clean up the HTML tags to follow HTML5 conventions (easy, configurable
through layouts, in progress)
2.) Export CSS styles as a separate file (done)
3.) Allow for more flexible handling of footnotes (in progress, moderately
difficult)
4.) Split large HTML documents into more manageable chunks, perhaps at the
chapter level (unknown)
5.) Allow for images, equations and other assets to be moved to a logical
subfolder hierarchy (unknown)
6.) Create a specialized inset which is able to insert audio and video using
the audio/video tags (unknown)

And that's really it. The rest of the ePub processing can be using external
python modules.