Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> Am 15.01.2013 22:24, schrieb Georg Baum:
>
>> IMHO, IEEEtran.cls does not support Uwe's reasoning at all, but rather
>> the oppsosite. And I'd really like to see _one_ example of an updated
>> journal/conference .cls file that broke an officially supported LyX
>> .layout file (and no, unless somebody presents at least one incompatible
>> change of the ACM classes that started this thread I won't believe that
>> the new versions are backward incompatible: I only saw new commands, not
>> changed or deleted old ones).
>
> That is what I always stated, non of my changes (except of that nasty
> modernCV beast) break the backward-compatibility in the strict sense but
> they introduce new commands and that is what this thread is about.

Yes. In the beginning, I thought that these new commands are urgently
needed, and that you therefore want them in the stable release. Now I
learned that none of the new commands is urgently needed (maybe except
modernCV), which I tried to explain above. Therefore it is no problem at all
to limit the new commands to the 2.1 release IMO.

> I now understood what you all basically want. Although that I am not a fan
> of the versioning, if a majority favors this, we do it. But I want to know
> how _exactly_ the preferred model works. What layout version is rename to
> what?

There were many proposals, I don't have the time right now to make a
summary. In any case I would change the error message that you get when an
unknown style is found (it says "Parse error", and tells the places where it
occurs), to a warning explaining that you can safely edit the document, but
that the printed output will not be correct.

Georg