On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Tommaso Cucinotta <tomm...@lyx.org> wrote:
> On 30/04/13 08:49, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> But I was
>> thinking of possibly a cheap workaround: Why not communicate with
>> images?
>
> hmmm.. that sounds like a hack.., would usability be the same ? or the
> user would have to switch back and forth among the chat client and lyx
> to do this, for handling connection set-up as well as copy'n'paste images
> back and forth ?

Well, it could nicely take the form of a Pidgin plugin:
- The plugin would be communicating to an existing LyX session (set up
a link, etc., to associate a LyX instance/buffer with a chat
conversation window)
- The user would create some material in the LyX buffer (text, image,
formula, what have you)
- By activating an LFUN (button, shortcut) the document would get
compiled, cropped, converted to image (if PDF is not supported in the
chat thingy), Instant Preview-style, and sent to the Pidgin
conversation and directly to the receiving user
- If there is a way to embed LyX code into the PDF/image metadata, the
receiving Pidgin client would allow to press a button and integrate
the received image (more precisely, the embedded code) into an
associated LyX buffer.

I'm no expert, but the basic idea would be to associate two LyX
instances with two chat clients, use PDF/images for rendering complex
LyX content in the chat clients, and additionally/optionally transfer
the code (via a file, as image metadata, etc.) from one LyX instance
via the chat clients to the 2nd LyX instance. Maybe this needs to be
thought through, but all this sounds to me cheap, useful, secure and
achievable during a GSoC project.

>> Anyways, a wild idea. Regards,
>
> yep..., seems wild :-)!

I've already got two replies, so maybe there is something to it. :)

Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm