On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 11:36:29AM -0600, Alejandro Aguilar Sierra wrote:
> I agree, the math inset should be cleaned following the changes and
> improvements that has been made on the inset mechanism. mathed3 will be
> basically internal changes and I'd like to know who in this list would
> like to collaborate.

I've already said I would like to help, but it is hard to do without the
source code! Please put it somewhere.

> Dekel wrote:
>
> > I know nothing about the new mathed (which might actually works similarly
> > to the way proposed below), but I wonder if it might be better to write an
> > even newer mathed: the math inset will be a derived class of insettext,
> > and matrices/fractions will be implemented using a derived class of
> > insettabular.
>
> I'm not sure this is a good idea, a math inset has a very special needs,
> like a particular sublanguage (currently latex math mode, in a future,
> presentation MathML), a special layout and the ability to use special
> fonts. Rather I was waiting for a good insettext to allow better text
> inside math (in fact Jurgen and I designed the primitive insettext).

Of course there are differences, but there are also similarities:
they are both objects that store a sequence of chars[1], and it allows you
to add chars, delete them etc.
Currently, the insetformula implements its own cursor, its own clipboard
etc., and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to reuse code.

[1] Note that one of my plans is change the internal text storage to Unicode
(16 or 32 bit), so all math symbols could be stored in an insettext just like
ASCII chars. This will make the insettext and insetformula even more similar.

> I repeate the invitation, all those that want to help developing
> mathed please drop me a line. The goals are:

See above.