Some of my electrons alleged that Alejandro Aguilar Sierra typed:
> =

> I know nothing about the new mathed (which might actually works similar=
ly =

> to the way proposed below), but I wonder if it might be better to write=
 an
> even newer mathed: the math inset will be a derived class of insettext,=

> and matrices/fractions will be implemented using a derived class of
> insettabular. =

> =

> This is only an idea which I don't know if it will work in practice, an=
d also
> I'm afraid that no one has the time to implement it.
> =

Actauilly, if we are going down this road it probably makes sense to make=
 =

matricies and tables a subclass of halign, which is hwo TeX implements th=
em. =

(\halign is a primative TeX feature and not a macro). halign has some fea=
tures =

not included in either tabular or array, for example the alignment of bit=
s =

spanned comulns is much more flexiblle. Almost all extra alignment =

environments in the AmSLaTeX are also defined in terms of halign and the =

ability to span a page break (useful for long lists and like). eqnarray a=
nd =

eqnarray* are just yet another application of \halign.

I have been known to use halign and valign in maths to when I wnat entire=
s that span columns or rows of a matrix. It would be really nice I could =
put them in directly and have the GUI given me feedback on what that look=
s like whilke typing it. As it is inserting it directly reliable crashes =
LyX when MathEd encounters an unexpected & and dereferenecs NULL. I claim=
 this is a bug :-) The wrokaround is to hide the magic in a macro and so =
MathEd fails to notice the stuff that gives it indiegstion.

Unfortybately I do have the copious free time to actually implement this =
fynctionality myself. However I do not imagine it would be that much hard=
er than generalised table support, which is sometimes insufficient for my=
 purposes. If you want an example that has stuff both left and right alig=
ned in a single column (actually several spanned columns, with all their =
templates killed \omit ed) then just drop me an email.

-- =

Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods =
is
legal and you can charge extra for fixing the problems."