Le 08/10/2015 16:46, Kornel Benko a écrit :
Am Donnerstag, 8. Oktober 2015 um 16:14:49, schrieb Stephan Witt
<st.w...@gmx.net>

I think the idea was to let the translators do it manually where
it is appropriate. And to do it for english this way too.

I think that too. I did it for sk.po, it looks OK to me. No change
in UI or source. Nobody is forced to change the po files. Encouraging
to do so is OK IMHO.

With this approach, Jean-Marc's objections suddenly become meaningful:

You mean that one is supposed for reach for the mouse just to type
something? Not the fastest way to go. But we could possibly provide
guidance for each language.

Seriously, saying "use your mouse to get it" or "type Alt 2 0 2 6
every time you want to get the character" is taking people a bit
lightly. The idea of LyX is to walk the fine line between canonical
LaTeX and convenience. Likewise, we should consider where the line
is between strict orthotypography and convenience.

I could always update fr.po by hand to have ellipses as you suggest, but will future translators do it when new cases arise, if the original string does not even give the good example and if one has to remember/look elsewhere to get this special char?

This approach is fundamentally broken. The sed script that replaces "" with “” was only a workaround for the same problem we are discussing now.

Guillaume