On 4/11/2015 11:07 a.m., Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 06:03:36PM +0100, Stephan Witt wrote:
Am 03.11.2015 um 17:39 schrieb Guillaume Munch <g...@lyx.org>:

So the error message is valid. The solution would be to make it clearer. Maybe one could show a
better message depending on the failure. If it's "resource busy" then we could add to the
message something like "The directory might be currently in use in a different program".
Unfortunately it's a boolean state only: see FileName.cpp line 639 -
rmdir(QFileInfo const & fi) called from FileName::destroyDirectory().
A few points:

- I agree with Stephan that the likelihood of users running into this
   message is greater.

- For me the message is shown twice.

- I actually wonder if we should not show the message to the user. Who
   cares that we cannot remove the temporary directory? What if we just
   output the message on STDERR?

Scott

I have found the message helpful, particularly when developing a module or a latex package to work with LyX. In the latter case, the failure to remove the temp directory may indicate that a latex process is still running. (Failure of a preview snippet for instance.) From experience I know that this can lead to multiple occurrences of the latex executable running at once, and LyX becoming more and more sluggish.

Andrew

---