Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> I did not remove them from LyX I only removed support for it from the
> installer. If you like you can of course use it with LyX. it is only
> that I am not responsible for this third-party program anymore. It made
> much troubles because it is installed as a printer and this is different
> in every Windows version and you MUST have admin privileges.

If there are problems with the installation then please ask on the list for
help and opinions. I know that the installation as a printer is not nice,
and I would prefer a standard standalone tool as well. However, having it as
a printer has the big advantage that the actual conversion can be done using
windows API calls, so you do not need to write the actual conversion
yourself. If this conversion would be easy to do, then certainly tools like
wmf2eps would not be so limited in functionality.

> If you like you can install metafile2eps by yourself. Note that the
> program is no longer under development for years now and Windows 7 and
> Win 10 are not officially supported. The installer however needs to
> support Win 10 etc..

To my knowledge, there was no development needed, and it simply works also
for newer windows versions, but Enrico can certainly tell more.

> I am aware that IM does a raster conversion. It is up to you to decide
> what program should be used to convert WMF files.

Yes, I can decide for myself, this is not the problem. My point is that it
is not up to you alone to decide that windows LyX users are no longer
offered a good quality emf->eps conversion, especially since emf is the
standard vector graphics format on windows.

Georg