racoon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to compile LyX on my Win7 machine. However, I get errors when I
> try to compile LyX even though I tried to follow the instruction step by
> step. Maybe someone can help:

Unfortunately the instructions are outdated (details below). It would be
very nice if you could help us to improve them. While I have some MSVC
kowledge I have no machine with installd MSVC to test, so your input would
be very welcome.

>> 2    Install Qt
>>
>> Download the latest Qt for Open Source C++ development on Windows
>> (VS2010) from http://qt-project.org/downloads
>
> I got Qt 5.7.

Please report back how this works. To my knowledge you are the first one to
try Qt 5.7.

> Click on Configure informs me that the build directory does not exist.
> Creating.
>
>> and set the generator to Visual Studio 10.
>
> Done.

Please try Visual Studio 14 instead (or however MSVC2015 is called in cmake,
14 is the internal MSVC version corresponding to the 2015 release). MSVC
2015 can load MSVC 2010 solutions, but if cmake knows that the result is to
be used by MSVC 2015 then it might generate solutions better suited to MSVC
2015.

>  From the log:
> ------
> TOP_SRC_DIR = C:/Users/Daniel/LyX/LyX22
>
> Building out-of-source
> The C compiler identification is unknown
> The CXX compiler identification is unknown
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:76 (project):
>    No CMAKE_C_COMPILER could be found.
>

> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:76 (project):
>    No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.

This is because the instructions are incomplete. You need to call the
vcvarsall.bat file provided by MSVC before calling the CMake GUI. I
described this in the latest instructions in master. You can get
http://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyxgit/INSTALL.Win32?rev=a88d1f023bcb and
follow this version, it applies to 2.2.x as well except the python
requirement: Python 2.x is required for LyX 2.2.x, for current master one
can also use Python 3.x.

> Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
> See also "C:/Users/Daniel/LyX/LyX22-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
> See also "C:/Users/Daniel/LyX/LyX22-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
> ------
>
> Still no "LYX_DEPENDENCIES_DOWNLOAD" option. Only a list with many
> "CMAKE_..." entries.

The dependencies download is broken. I fixed it in master at
48fd76d4bfb99ee. Until this is fixed in the 2.2.x branch I suggest you
donwload them manually to the expected location.

An alternative to the configuration with the CMake GUI is to adapt the
build5-2015.bat batch file (again from master):
http://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyxgit/development/cmake/build5-2015.bat?rev=c7c9744368cfab

This might be easier, I guess you only need to adapt a few paths.

Georg