On 06/25/2016 05:13 AM, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Dear LyXers,
>
> there is a new Windows installer available that provides support for
> Windows Vista:
> http://ftp.lyx.de/LyX%202.2.0/LyX-220-Installer-Vista-3.exe
>
> Dima kindly prepared the binary from the 2.2.0 tarball, I checked it
> against viruses and malware using commercial antivirus software, I
> created the installer with it and Dima tested that everything works
> fine on Vista.
>
> Richard, could you please put it on ftp.lyx.org? Could you please also
> write a news message that we now have a Vista installer but that this
> installer should not be used for other Windows versions than Vista.

> There is a discussion about this topic in the bug tracker that I
> cannot understand. Scott and Richard are concerned that Dima'S build
> contains malware. This is not fair. Dima invested some spare time to
> fiddle around with Qt to prepare a Vista build and to test it. To
> presume that a new contributor is not trustworthy is not the way we
> should welcome new people!

This is a complete misunderstanding of what Scott and I were saying. We
think that our officially releasing a LyX binary on the LyX website,
especially one signed with the LyX key, means that we are making certain
sorts of guarantees to people. We cannot make those guarantees if the
binary has been built by someone we do not at all know.

People don't even get commit rights until they've submitted a number of
patches and proved themselves capable.

> I checked Dima's build wit the anti-virus software at work (the
> installer only contains the lyx.exe and tex2lyx.exe from Dima, all
> other LyX files are identic with the other installers I released for
> 2.2.0.
> However, in general, if we don't trust new people investing their
> spare time, we will be lost. To dramatize: Some of you have never seen
> me, nobody knows my build system and could cross-check if I don't add
> spyware to the Win installers. So you have to trust me too.

You have been around here rather a long time.

> Thus please keep use welcome new people and encouraging to join the
> LyX developer team. LyX need manpower and I am happy about every new
> developer. We also need people developing on Windows.

Obviously. No one is saying we should not encourage Dima to submit
patches and ultimately gain commit rights. This is an entirely different
issue.

Richard