Richard Heck wrote:

> I'll ask again: What is the status of the mingw build? Last I heard, it
> built our executables fine and the only issue was with building the
> installer.

The mingw build works fine in several flavours:

-natively on windows as described in INSTALL.Win32 (uses autotools)

- cross-compiling from linux using development/cmake/scripts/xmingw (uses
cmake, depends on an older 32bit qt build offered by Peter which is
downloaded)

- cross compiling from linux using MXE and autotools as described in
INSTALL.Win32 (works for 32 and 64 bit)

I did not test the first option myself, this was contributed by a user. For
both cross-compilations I also tested the resulting executable with wine and
could not see any problem (but of course a test on real windows would be
good). The biggest difficulty for cross-compilation is to obtain a suitable
qt: It needs to be configured for windows, but all the utilities like moc,
uic etc need to run on linux. qt does not offer a binary build for cross-
compilation, creating it is much work, but fortunately the nice people from
http://mxe.cc do that for us and offer the result in an easy to use form.

I am pretty sure that a MXE build could be done with cmake very easily as
well, it just needs somebody to do it and to document the needed cmake
command line.

Concerning the installer I have no idea. Running nsis on wine is supposed to
be no problem, but from my experiences with the inaccurate and outdated MSVC
instructions in INSTALL.Win32 I would not expect that building the installer
works out of the box. However, this is something I'll probably try one day,
but first I want to have easy and working instructions to build LyX with
MSVC. Even if we do not build the official version with MSVC anymore in the
future, it really helps if interested people can use MSVC and maybe become
contributors.

Georg