Am Dienstag, den 30.01.2018, 23:24 +0100 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
> Nice, so to speak. To be frank, I have no interest in reworking 20+
> dialogs to give them nice buttons. But this is of course desirable
> in
> the long term.

I agree.

> > > 1/ apply this patch, maybe with a default of "false" and value
> > > "true"
> > > set in mac and windows lyxrc.dist files. This would give us the
> > > same
> > > behavior as before, but configurable
> >
> > Would be good as a start.
>
> Or set the default to use native everywhere and let experimented
> people
> override that.

Yes. But then, I think, you can also drop it altogether.

> > > 3/ remove support for our custom file dialog and always use the
> > > native
> > > one (this would lose the Document/Example buttons)
> >
> > Which would be a pity.
>
> Why? Because of the buttons? José proposed to add an entry "Open
> example..." in Help menu (could be in File menu too). Would that be
> enough ?

The nice thing about the buttons is that they only occur when it makes
sense. And remember we do not only have "Examples". We also show
"Templates" (my favorite), "Documents", "Cliparts" (and maybe others).
And if done correctly, it could be extended to other places depending
on the context (e.g., "BibTeX databases" ($TEXMF/bib) in the BibTeX
dialog).

> Note that each OS offers a way to add your own favorite places in a
> kind
> of sidebar.

I know, but these are static (at least on an app-level).

> > > 4/  remove support for our custom file dialog and always use the
> > > Qt
> > > custom file dialog, and try to make setSidebarUrl work, so that
> > > we
> > > have
> > > our Documents/Examples links in the side bar; this cannot work
> > > with
> > > native file dialog.
> >
> > This would be the best solution IMHO. But do you know how to make
> > setSidebarUrl work with proper entries? (I don't).
>
> Well, first, remember that it means no native dialog.

Why? Doesn't the method work with native dialogs?

> Then the way to do it could be to create links to the proper
> directories
> which have the proper names. But this is bound to fail in one way or
> another. It is a pity that QUrl does not allow to add a text part.

Indeed.

Jürgen