On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 03:27:30PM +0000, Kornel Benko wrote:

> > > I don't think so. Remember, we only test with executables just created.
> >
> > This is a pity. We should, at the very least test all 2.2-exported files
> > with 2.2 before releasing 2.3!
> >
> > Maybe we can add a simple script that opens all lyx22 files in
> > autotests/out-home with lyx2.2 and reports failures (affected file(s) +
> > eventual error/warning message).
> >

> Yes.

I agree these tests could be useful and I have done this manually in the
past (script to export to 2.2.x and then just copy those over to the
2.2.x directory and run ctests there). If I remember correctly, they did
indeed find errors in lyx2lyx that the round-trip did not catch. What
interface do you have in mind? Should we set the path to the LyX 2.2.x
binary with an environment variable?

If these tests are included in the ctest framework, we should not enable
them by default because of the huge dependency. But it might be nice if
we can figure out an easy way to put them in our ctest framework because
that would make them easy to run. Maybe something like

   -DLYX_CTESTS_22X=/path/to/lyx22x/binary

to enable them? Otherwise (by default) they are not turned on. We could
similarly have -DLYX_CTESTS_21X. I suppose that the ctests would have to
take care of configuring with a separate user directory and all that.
Seems complicated to me, but might be worth it?

Thoughts?

Scott