On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 12:26:35AM +0000, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 02.03.2018 um 20:59 schrieb Richard Heck:
>
> > I don't know a lot about Windows, but let me just ask: Do we really want
> > to force people to upgrade some other package when they install LyX?
>
> As I wrote in a previous post, the thing is that MiKTeX released in February
> a new package handling system. In order to be able to set up LyX the LyX
> installer needs to use this new system and therefore MiKTeX needs to be
> updated.

I have a similar concern to Richard (and a similar disclaimer that I
don't know much about Windows). Even if what you put is the case, I
would prefer for the LyX installer to just give an error such as "Cannot
install LyX without the newest version of MiKTeX. Please update your
MiKTeX installation as follows: ..."

I know it is not user-friendly, but forcing updates is also not
friendly.

Scott