Am 13.03.2018 um 04:17 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

I definitely agree that every additional dialog is an additional
possibility for confusion. I think where we disagree is on the benefit
that the dialog could bring.

Yes. You don't understand that users who don't about LaTeX and deny the update can end up with a completely screwed up MiKTeX. They will then be lost and will loose all personal LaTeX settings. This is unacceptable. So should I sent hundred to users into this just for an info for experienced users that could also be given in the release notes? I won't do this. Point.

Why don't you add a sentence or two to the release notes for the experienced users that they can set in MiKTeX "never" to package updates. Experienced users will understand this. That is the most suitable solution.

regards Uwe