Dear LyXers,

I just uploaded a new installer version 6:
http://ftp.lyx.de/LyXWinInstaller/LyX2.3.0/

The only change compared to the previous version is that the bundle installer contains the latest miktex-basic installer. This fixes some bugs for users installing LyX (with LaTeX) the first time.
I also updated the bundled ImageMagick version.

The last days I spoke with some Win users and I think it is the right decision how the installer is for LyX 2.3.0. The installer should focus on average users that don't know about packages etc. Concepts like packages do not exist under Windows and user should not be bothered with technical details they don't understand.

If some expert user is maybe not amused because he has not read the release announcement and did not like to update its MiKTeX package handling, has the knowledge to revert this or to use TeXLive. Experts who read the announcement know what is meant by setting "never" to install packages in the MiKTeX settings.

So all in all the decision is to please the majority of users also for the price that some expert users might not like that. I stand to this decision after the long discussion we had here and because of my experience during the last years.

If the LyX community says that we must take care of every expert user not reading the announcement for the price that average users without background knowledge can sooner or later end up with a broken LaTeX and thus an unusable LyX I can live with the fact that LyX might then not have an official Windows installer.

sorry and regards
Uwe