Changing the subject to get the right person's attention...

On 10/15/21 11:51, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
Hi all,

Over on the user list, there's a lengthy thread (actually set of threads) triggered by user Rich Shepard trying to compile a report whose bibliography stubbornly refused to appear. Rich was using biblatex. After copies trial and error, Rich got the report to work, but with no explanation why.

I was beating on a copy of it (which I am not at liberty to share) and discovered that if made any non-fatal change to the preamble, the bibliography would show up. In particular, just adding \usepackage{} (with the argument deliberately empty) to the preamble in LyX coaxed the bibliography to show up.

Comparing the .tex files that LyX exported with and without the \usepackage{} command, I discovered two changes. One of course was the inclusion of \usepackage{}. The other was that \usepackage[style=authoryear]{biblatex} in the original document morphed into \usepackage[style=authoryear,backend=bibtex8]{biblatex} in the modified document.

So I went to the original document and, in the bibliography settings, changed the processor option from default to bibtex8, and sure enough the original compiled correctly.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something the user is responsible for knowing (it was news to me, but I never use biblatex). So I'm reporting it here to let wiser minds decide.

Paul