On 2022-02-22 14:02, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 13:40, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org <mailto:sp...@lyx.org>> wrote:

    Am Di., 22. Feb. 2022 um 13:00 Uhr schrieb Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de
    <mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>>:

        I am wondering what the purpose of the "Table of Contents" in the
        Outliner is. Is it supposed to show those elements that actually
        appear
        in the "Table of Contents"? Or all "Sectioning"/"Headings"
        independently
        of whether they actually appear in the TOC.

        Currently, it seems to rather do the latter than the former
        because it
        also lists "starred" sectioning entries that don't go into the TOC.

    Yes. Also Frames in beamer and other structural elements. One
    purpose is to easily move around parts of the document.

        Maybe a renaming would be worthwhile in order to not confuse the
        two?

    I figure the most common term is actually "outline". Or "document
    structure".

The Outline pane does more than just the sections of the document, it would be really weird to rename the ToC "Outline". "Document structure" seems better. (By the way, Google Docs has a "Outline" pane and Word a "Navigation" one, for the same purpose.)

I noticed that when one clicks on a "Table of Contents" command inset, the Outline with the "Table of Contents" opens. So, I guess that connection is not ideal either currently because not only TOC entries are shown.

Another alternative would be to leave the Outline entry as "Table of Contents" but add a special indication (italics? star in front?) for entries that are not visible in the TOC? (I also thought about the "Show" "All items"/"Only output items"/"Only non-output items" function but that would be ambiguous between the item being visible at all in the output - which is what is usually means - and being visible in the TOC.)

This could also incorporate the information from "Numbering & TOC" - "Apears in TOC" in Document Settings. I guess it would be nice if one could get a picture of what does and does not appear in the TOC directly from the outliner.

Another example is the bibliography that as of https://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/a89e3c344b/lyxgit generates a bibliography entry but only when in the TOC. I guess it should always generate an entry in the Outline (for navigation purposes) but maybe one with a special indication (see above) when it is not in the TOC?

Daniel