On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 12:30 PM Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2022-02-22 14:02, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 13:40, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org
> > <mailto:sp...@lyx.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Am Di., 22. Feb. 2022 um 13:00 Uhr schrieb Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de
> >     <mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>>:
> >
> >         I am wondering what the purpose of the "Table of Contents" in the
> >         Outliner is. Is it supposed to show those elements that actually
> >         appear
> >         in the "Table of Contents"? Or all "Sectioning"/"Headings"
> >         independently
> >         of whether they actually appear in the TOC.
> >
> >         Currently, it seems to rather do the latter than the former
> >         because it
> >         also lists "starred" sectioning entries that don't go into the
> TOC.
> >

> >     Yes. Also Frames in beamer and other structural elements. One
> >     purpose is to easily move around parts of the document.
> >
> >         Maybe a renaming would be worthwhile in order to not confuse the
> >         two?
> >

> >     I figure the most common term is actually "outline". Or "document
> >     structure".
> >

> > The Outline pane does more than just the sections of the document, it
> > would be really weird to rename the ToC "Outline". "Document structure"
> > seems better.
> > (By the way, Google Docs has a "Outline" pane and Word a "Navigation"
> > one, for the same purpose.)
>
> I noticed that when one clicks on a "Table of Contents" command inset,
> the Outline with the "Table of Contents" opens. So, I guess that
> connection is not ideal either currently because not only TOC entries
> are shown.

A few remarks from someone who uses the outline pane heavily to contend
with a particularly large and complicated document: please note that many
approaches to using the Outline pane exist.  I use the "TOC" entries;
however, I heavily use the figure, table, citations, cross-reference,
marginal notes, and equation drop-down-based views also.  Accordingly, I
recommend not getting too fixated on the terminology in one of many cases.

Please contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns in this matter.

Thank you,
Joel