On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 6:51 AM Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 22/02/2022 23:51, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 12:30 PM Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de
> > <mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2022-02-22 14:02, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> >      > On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 13:40, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org
> >     <mailto:sp...@lyx.org>
> >      > <mailto:sp...@lyx.org <mailto:sp...@lyx.org>>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >     Am Di., 22. Feb. 2022 um 13:00 Uhr schrieb Daniel
> >     <xraco...@gmx.de <mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>
> >      >     <mailto:xraco...@gmx.de <mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>>>:
> >      >
> >      >         I am wondering what the purpose of the "Table of
> >     Contents" in the
> >      >         Outliner is. Is it supposed to show those elements that
> >     actually
> >      >         appear
> >      >         in the "Table of Contents"? Or all "Sectioning"/"Headings"
> >      >         independently
> >      >         of whether they actually appear in the TOC.
> >      >
> >      >         Currently, it seems to rather do the latter than the
> former
> >      >         because it
> >      >         also lists "starred" sectioning entries that don't go
> >     into the TOC.
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     Yes. Also Frames in beamer and other structural elements. One
> >      >     purpose is to easily move around parts of the document.
> >      >
> >      >         Maybe a renaming would be worthwhile in order to not
> >     confuse the
> >      >         two?
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     I figure the most common term is actually "outline". Or
> "document
> >      >     structure".
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > The Outline pane does more than just the sections of the
> >     document, it
> >      > would be really weird to rename the ToC "Outline". "Document
> >     structure"
> >      > seems better.
> >      > (By the way, Google Docs has a "Outline" pane and Word a
> >     "Navigation"
> >      > one, for the same purpose.)
> >
> >     I noticed that when one clicks on a "Table of Contents" command
> inset,
> >     the Outline with the "Table of Contents" opens. So, I guess that
> >     connection is not ideal either currently because not only TOC entries
> >     are shown.
> >

> > A few remarks from someone who uses the outline pane heavily to contend
> > with a particularly large and complicated document: please note that
> > many approaches to using the Outline pane exist.  I use the "TOC"
> > entries; however, I heavily use the figure, table, citations,
> > cross-reference, marginal notes, and equation drop-down-based views
> [...]

Daniel,

I'd actually meant the reverse: I do not see a problem with the current
labeling for any of the components nor would I read into how one uses them
(as a "true" TOC, or merely that of organizational structure).  My thought
is that the content is self evident and thus effort better spent elsewhere.

Thanks,
Joel