John> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 03:17:41PM +0900, R. Lahaye wrote:
>> I then would opt for both: allow a version flag to the lyx
>> executable and generate a file or script ("lyx-config") with the
>> version info.
>>
>> Many software handles a "-version" (and/or "--version") flag, so I
>> thought it'll be useful to add this to LyX as well. For software
>> under development this flag should output all necessary info for
>> the developers. This output added to a bug report, could be most
>> helpful.

John> I think a separate file/script is a bad idea. the
John> something-config's are useful for libraries and gcc flags, but
John> we want --version to be useful for debugging the scenario where
John> by accident some user has got a different version of lyx to the
John> contents of the relevant /usr/local/share/lyx directory (or
John> whatever).

OK, maybe you're right. Or we should do both, in case LyX does not
start at all (which may very well happen). And also, the contents of
this file should be what is displayed at the end of the configure run.

Also, Rob, you do not need to change anything in acconfig.h. Use the
optional third argument of AC_DEFINE to give the description.