On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:02:14AM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Enrico> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:29:37PM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote:
> >> Bo Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: > Please advise on a good place to
> >> put an openFile(filename, > mode=view/edit, command="",
> >> parameter="") function.
> >>
> >> src/support/filetools.[Ch]
>
> Enrico> Do you mean that #ifdef'd code is acceptable there? Otherwise
> Enrico> a good alternative would be src/support/os_XXX.C
>
> The problem with os_xxx is that currently OS X uses os_unix and
> obviously it would need its own code.

I think that os_unix.C could be copied verbatim to os_mac.C and then
the two could evolve separately. Otherwise, code specific for OS X
could be #ifdef'd in os_unix.C.

> Also, I would think that a pure Qt/X11 OS X app (a la fink) would not
> like to use the native vewers by default. Similarly, would a native
> cygwin/Qt/X11 app want to use the windows viewers?

The scripts launching the X server use by default the -multiwindow
switch. This means that X11 apps are almost undistinguishable from
native ones, as, in a sense, Windows acts as a Window Manager.
So, yes it makes sense using Windows viewers. If one does not use
the -multiwindow switch, then the X11 root window gets its own window
and native apps would appear outside it.

This could be configurable. For example, I have not abandoned the
idea of selecting the way LyX/Cygwin deals with path-styles.
It could be bring further ahead by converting the infamous checkbox
to mean "Behave as a truly posix app or not".

--
Enrico