It doesn't work. If I write "[My short figure description]" at the
begining of the caption and mark this as TeX code LyX produces

\caption{[My short figure description]This is a very long figure
description that I don't want to show up in the TOF}

So far it seems I have to export my file as LaTeX and do the editing
manually. Really annoying!

--
Pedro I. Sanchez