Pedro> It doesn't work. If I write "[My short figure description]" at
Pedro> the begining of the caption and mark this as TeX code LyX
Pedro> produces

Pedro> \caption{[My short figure description]This is a very long
Pedro> figure description that I don't want to show up in the TOF}

Pedro> So far it seems I have to export my file as LaTeX and do the
Pedro> editing manually. Really annoying!

What I meant is: use a Standard paragraph and write
\caption[My short figure description]{This is a very long figure
description that I don't want to show up in the TOF}

Now, mark "\caption[", "]{" and "}" as TeX. This is not very pretty,
but at least the caption texts can be edited in conveniently.

JMarc