On 27 Sep 2000, at 11:58, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> Do not expect this in 1.1.6, but in 1.2.0 we will at least have the
> framework that will make this easy to accomplish.

Great!!

> LyX can always be used as a tool in learning LaTeX if that is desired.
> LyX will certanly make you able to produce documents sooner than LaTeX
> will.

This is very true!

I strongly believe that when I remove -- from our tech-writers -- the
possibility to make decicions how things should look, that increases
the productivity. People tend to use too much time on, the look of the
document -- even, when somebody else is responsible for that. This is
why I think that MS Word decreases productivity. There are too many
ways to format text (bold, italics, overline, font size,
alignment,...) and yet the decicion of single paragraph alignment is
made by someone else than the person writing the text...

LaTeX is great environment. I like it myself. It works very well as
typesetting engine for LyX. I like LyX also. But,

- I don't want our users to learn LaTeX -> they use more time on
  typefacing than writing
- Our users learn LyX faster than LaTeX

Therefore LyX is powerfull (and fills my exceptations) enough, for
tech-writing folks tool #1. Other software is used for graphics,
and inclusion of graphics is currently easy enough. PDF exports might
need some working still.

Tommi Rintala