Hi lyx list people,

I have been a Lyx user for many years (remember the time when it was not available on Windows natively...) and still think it's a great program.

However, currently I'm mainly using it on Windows (both 7 and 8), and the problem that often 'Paste' is not working is driving me crazy. I have read a lot of archived discussions about this on the lists and also on other forums, but ultimately the solutions like redefining keyboard shortcuts do not work reliably. Given that I do not seem to be alone with this basic problem, actually I'm surprised that there are not more complaints. I guess that many potential users simply give up on Lyx as soon as they run into such fundamental problems, which would be a pity.

A work-around that usually works is right-clicking at the cursor (or caret) position and choosing the topmost item "paste (previous selection)". But this is slowing down the editing work considerably and is just what is driving me crazy. BTW, sometimes pasting is working again out of the blue, so it doesn't just seem to some utterly stupid configuration mistake.

So from my point of view lyx is trying to offer a sophisticated internal clipboard with more than just the last copied item, and the keyboard shortcut dialog (in settings) is showing me a whopping 6 partly different entries when I search for "paste", but the simple copy&paste from the time of the first 1984 Macintosh is not working -- (sorry for the rant, but couldn't resist).

And now the devels will ask me, what are your keyboard shortcut definitions? (And I could answer, "cua".) But before you ask me that, please ask yourselves, do you really think a tailormade solution to my specific case is what is needed? Or should the simple copy&paste function not rather be made robust and working out-of-the-box for everybody?

Ok I'm curious whether this is a known problem that is simply to difficult to solve or what the matter really is.

Thanks for your work on Lyx!

cheers,
sven