Nikos Alexandris:

The "figure" becomes "figure*" by selecting the "Span columns" option in
the LyX: float dialog (Right click on "float: Figure" > Settings > Span
columns).

A "custom" float may be defined to instruct the \begin{figure*} command
directly as per the following:

--->%--
Float
    Type        figure*
    GuiName     Figure*
    Placement   p
    Extension   lof
    NumberWithin    none
    Style       plain
    ListName    "List of Figures"
    ListCommand listoffigures
    IsPredefined true
    UsesFloatPkg false
End
--%<---

In the "Customization" document, in "5.3.8 Floats" it is stated:

Type [string=””] The “type” of the new class of floats, like program or
algorithm. After the appropriate \newfloat, commands such as \begin{program} or
\end{algorithm*} will be available.  So, the above looks like a "duplication"
(?).

So, after using the custom "figure*" float (which does work!), it is still
possible to select "Span columns" (which is NOT pre-selected). Another star is
added and the float becomes "figure**".

On the Span columns, the "Embedded Objects" manual states:

The option Span columns is only useful for two-column documents: If you select
it, the float will span both columns on the page instead of being confined to
just one.

How can we put all this info together and have a clean "Figure*" float for
tufte-book?  Perhaps reword the "is only useful for two-column documents"
sentence as well (?).

Thank you, Nikos