On 18 Oct 2016, at 12:33, Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org<mailto:kor...@lyx.org>>

Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2016 um 11:10:06, schrieb Paola Manzini

Hi all,

I’ve searched the list and though this is not the first time the problem
noted, I haven’t been able to find any solution. The short of it is: it
just won’t work. So for instance if I type “5+2” then invoke
I only get a lonely = side to the right of the expression, and no result
(see screenshot)>

What happens if you call maxima from the console window and input the
string '(5+2);' followed by <Return>? Here I get:
(%i1) (5+2);
(%o1)                                  7

from the console I get the same as you:

       (%i2) 5+2;
       (%o2)                                  7

It should work. Do you have the same PATH settings on console?
Note, that I am not on MAC, so only guessing.

I know it should work, which is why it is sooo frustrating! I cannot see any
path settings in the Terminal, but I have put in lyX the same address as the
one invoked for Maxima run from a terminal window, and still no joy!