On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Steve Litt wrote:

Rich, now that you've resolved it, let me ask this: Do you fix every
warning thrown by chktex? I ran it on one of my books, I got 108 warnings,
with warning codes 1, 11, 12, 13, 23, 26, 38 and 39.

Steve,

  I looked but need to resolve the preamble issue first. Now I know how to
do this I'll pay more attention to the warnings.

Most of these seem rather innocuous to me, such as the one saying I had
punctuation just before a quote (that's the correct way to do it in
American English), and the one saying I terminated a command with a space.
I can suppress any warning number with -n: Did you suppress some warnings?

  I've not yet arrived at that point; I'm just starting to learn what chktex
shows.

Anyway, how strictly are you taking all these warnings?

  If they follow the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition I'll use them.
Almost all I write are distributed as newsletters, white papers, and reports
to clients. If this book is accepted by a publisher I'll follow their style
guide and use the .cls file they provide.

Regards,

Rich