On Sat, 23 Dec 2017, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Try making a copy of the document and opening the copy.

Paul,

  I'm taking a different approach. My last book, published by Springer, used
the svmono.cls/svmono.layout so I figured out how to use it as the current
book's class. Still no Check TeX in the Tools menu. However, ...

  Opening a new document which is the svmono template, it does have Check
TeX in the Tools menu. So, tomorrow I'll cut-and-paste from the document I
started to the template, then save it under the desired name and move on
from here. That should fix all issues.

My thanks to you and Scott,

Rich