On Sat, 20 Jan 2018, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

If others do find this annoying, perhaps we can think of an improvement.
The ideal behavior for me would be that whenever I paste text that is in
language "mylanguage (x)" into a document that has language "mylanguage
(y)" and no other language, the text would be pasted as "mylanguage (y)".
However, thinking about what the LyX behavior should be, I don't know what
to suggest. On the one hand, I don't think we should change the default
behavior since it is correct to treat "mylanguage (x)" and "mylanguage
(y)" as different languages. On the other, I don't think this is a big
enough issue that we should have a preference for it. So I don't know what
to suggest.

Thoughts?

Scott,

  I stick with 'English (USA)' and don't have this issue. However, I offer
the suggestion of a separate tool that can be invoked as desired by the
user. It could be a script that pops up when lyx detects two flavors of a
common language in a document, presents the two flavors, asks the user which
is the flavor of the day (or ignore the differences as a third option), then
modify the .lyx file and reload the working document.

  This does not force behavior on everyone and might be easier to implement
and maintain.

Regards,

Rich