> Using the above approach you can narrow your document down and find
> which character is causing the issue.
>
> Best,
>
> Scott
>
> The v is defined as a "ligature break" (\textcompwordmark in LaTeX)
> in the LGR font encoding. It is, e.g. used to prevent sigma (σ) becoming a
> final sigma (ς) at the end of a word.
>
> It is missing in Libertine LGR.
> As the ligature break is an invisible character, it may be there is no
> problem with you file. Just check Greek parts -- maybe combined with the
> method proposed by Scott.
>
> Günter

Thanks, Scott and Günter, for your quick, helpful replies.

I had followed Scott's advice and found the offending character. It was
indeed the lower-case Greek letter "sigma", not in a word-final position
(i.e., "σ"). (There was just one of them in the document).

I was then puzzling over LyX's error message -- "There is no v in font
LinLibertineT-osf-lgr". It didn't seem to make sense, for two reasons:
(1) the problem was certainly the letter "sigma", but in principle it
has nothing to do with a "v"; and (2) in the PDF print-out, the letter
"sigma" is printed correctly. So, all in all, nothing is missing. I
couldn't figure it out or find anything about it, and then came Günter's
explanation.

So at least I've understood (sort of), but this is strange behaviour
from LyX. LaTeX, on the other hand, doesn't complain and prints the
"sigma" identically.

I'm wondering if the problem might be solved by LyX following LaTeX's
advice. If, as LaTeX complains, "The libertine-type1 package is
obsolete", then perhaps LyX should be using, as LaTeX's suggests,
"\usepackage[type1]{libertineRoman}" in the Preamble instead of
"\usepackage{libertine-type1}". For my part, I have no idea.

Anyway, thanks for your help. LyX is fantastic software--keep up the
development!

Sebastien