Am 24.03.2018 um 15:27 schrieb Joel Kulesza:
On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 8:17 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de <mailto:engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de>> wrote:

    Am 24.03.2018 um 14:52 schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann:

        I am very intrigued by the new feature of lyx 2.3 to insert
        gnuplot grafic. I have used for many years pyxplot

        http://pyxplot.org.uk/

I am not the person you seek regarding plotting integration with LyX; however, I do lots of technical plotting and drawing in LaTeX.  I hadn't encountered this utility before, but it looks quite powerful.  I look forward to checking it out further.

        in my documents and would like to know, how difficult it would
        be to use this in the same way as gnuplot; pyxplot is quite
        similar to gnuplot, but IMHO easier to use. Could I perhaps
        get in touch with the person who did the lyx implementation or
        could somebody forward my EMail to him? I would gladly pay for
        it, since it would be much easier to keep the plotting
        programs on hand (at the moment I do it by putting the
        corresponding program in a note, from where I can copy/paste
        it if changes are needed).

Rather than copying/pasting changes, have you tried Insert->File->Child document and using the "Input" option to include the external file?  I routinely do this when I prepare TikZ graphics.

        I just tried a few simple plots from pyxplot using the ending
        .gp instead of .plot and it worked just fine. I hope, it is
        not too difficult to adapt pyxplot to lyx; however, I realize,
        the devil is in the details.

Are you able to provide a MWE to demonstrate what you did that was successful with some description of how you would like it to work instead?  A clear goal might help a developer assess feasibility.

- Joel

Joel, here we are. It's not a MWE per se, but I included also a few more simple examples. One devil in detail is already here, but may be its me (ENGELman): If I export it as tar.gz, only the example Textdatei.gp is included (that's the one from the example given). I have not tried yet Insert->File->Child document and using the "Input" option to include the external file, but will do so. Thanks for your advice.
Wolfgang