On Tue, 29 May 2018, John White wrote:

I have contacted and heard back from lawlist, the person who posted the
pleading paper template. Nice fellow but he is a latex guy, not a lyx guy.
He does not know about lyx indexes.

I filed the brief yesterday using lyx indexes and TOC. Before filing, I
had to go to the office and put blank lined and numbered (left side of
page) paper in the copier. I then printed to the copier and it was fine,
albeit the procedure is quite cumbersome. Would be much better if I could
print the indexed file while having lyx generate the numbers down the left
hand side of the paper.

John,

  I would know about pleading papers only if attorneys who engage me as an
expert consultant/witness share them with me so I have no idea why adding an
index to the back of a document would prevent line numbers from printing.
Doesn't make sense that they'd be related.

  Because LyX supports many niche users (e.g., music composition,
linguistics, poetry) I encourage you to ask the developers to make your
needs workable. Seems to me that adding legal document support is a
reasonable request.

  Consider creating a short document using the lorem ipsum package to create
dummy text with an index and line numbering and post that to the mail list.

Regards,

Rich

--
Richard Shepard, Ph.D.                    Have Knowledge - Will Travel
Applied Ecosystem Services, LLC                Troutdale, OR 97060 USA